Ex-champions Nigel Mansell and Emerson Fittipaldi have announced that they will join the legends parade at the British Grand Prix this weekend. Silverstone is all set to host its 50th race and, to mark the occasion, several legendary cars and drivers will parade around the track.
Mansell’s car is yet to be decided but Fittipaldi will take to the wheel of his 1974 championship winning car, the McLaren M23. The two-time champion won the British Grand Prix in 1972 and 1975, while Mansell remains the most successful British driver to race at his home event. He won four-times, three of those at Silverstone.
The British legend said: “Silverstone is the spiritual home of Formula 1 and we should all feel proud of the circuit hosting its 50th Grand Prix. It’s still one of the most exhilarating circuits in the world, but it’s the fans and their passion that make the British Grand Prix so special.”
Silverstone is widely considered to be the home of Formula One after it held the first ever world championship race in 1950. In 1948, the first ever British Grand Prix to be held there, it brought Motor Sport back after a ten year hiatus during the war.
To celebrate this unique landmark, a parade has been organised and will take place on all three days this weekend.
The full line-up is as follows:
- Nigel Mansell- Four-time British Grand Prix winner and 1992 World Champion. Car TBC.
- Emerson Fittipaldi- Two-time British Grand Prix winner and two-time World Champion. Driving the McLaren M23, his 1974 championship winning car.
- David Coulthard- Two-time British Grand Prix winner. Also driving Mark Webber’s 2012 Red Bull RB8.
- Dario Franchitti- four-time IndyCar champion. Driving Jim Clark’s 1963 British Grand Prix winning Lotus 25.
- Paul Stewart- Owner of Stewart F1 team. Driving his father’s Sir Jackie Stewart 1973 Tyrrell 006.
Book discounted tickets and reservate your hotel room in our F1 Tickets Shop.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.