Ferrari is already turning its attention to 2015.
Canada, however, was earmarked as a crucial weekend for the Maranello outfit, with changes to the struggling F14-T car so significant that some reports are referring to a 'B' model.
But with Mercedes so far ahead this season, Alonso suggested that Ferrari's mind is now turning considerably to 2015.
"We need to keep fighting for important goals and we have targets to achieve this year," he said on Thursday.
"However we must not compromise next year's project this year."
Alonso explained that the 2014 car should still be developed, because similar rules next year mean that many of the improvements can "carry over".
"But if there is something fundamental for next year," he added, "obviously we mustn't take any time away from that."
Alonso's openness about 2015 indicates he will be staying in red beyond this year, despite rumblings in the press about moves elsewhere, perhaps to McLaren.
It has been claimed his relationship with president Luca di Montezemolo is strained, and that he did not support friend Stefano Domenicali's ousting in favour of new team boss Marco Mattiacci.
But Alonso told the BBC on Thursday that he has "zero problems" with Montezemolo.
And as for Mattiacci, "everything is moving in the right direction", he insisted.
"He has good vision and a very clever approach and we are going to be stronger and stronger," Alonso added.
Book discounted tickets and reservate your hotel room in our F1 Tickets Shop.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.