Valtteri Bottas Biography
Valtteri Bottas, Williams FW34, Jerez 2013 wintertest
The latest product of Finland’s famed racing schools, Valtteri Bottas is tipped highly by many to go far in Formula One. Bottas is one of several new names on the grid for 2013 and the Williams driver will be hoping to maximize his talent in the cut throat sport of F1.
Like many of the young drivers in recent years, the 23 year old has a strong CV. Two championships in Formula Renault in 2008 and a GP3 world title in 2011 can’t disguise his potential. That GP3 season caught the eye of the legendary Sir Frank Williams, and Bottas was quickly signed as the team’s reserve driver beating off competition from the likes of Sauber and Force India.
Last season Bottas participated in several practice sessions, continuing his education as the British team supplied him with the chance to impress. And impress he has done as when the decision came Valterri Bottas was elected to partner Pastor Maldonado for 2013 as Bruno Senna’s replacement. A cool customer behind the wheel, Bottas is the perfect partner for Maldonado’s aggression.
Bottas will encounter many circuits he has not driven at before this season so he will need to adapt quickly, as in the age of pay-drivers, he is very dispensable.
Bottas will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of the likes of his countrymen Heikki Kovalainen, Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen, and Kimi Raikkonen and progress rapidly to the top of the sport and become world champion.
Valtteri started karting at the age of 6 and has 11 years of karting experience. He is a member of Finnish national team since 2002.
Race career achievements
- Finnish Champion in ICAJ, ICA and Formula-A class
- 2004 ICAJ European Champion Qualification winner in Belgium Spa
- 2005 ICA Viking Trophy winner in Hanstholm Denmark
- 2006 FA Winning Series Karting winner
- 2006 FA World Champion 8th
- 2007 Formula Renault 2.0 NEC 3rd
- 2007 Formula Renault 2.0 Winter Serie UK
- (4 finals; three times 1st and once 2nd)
- 2007 Formula Renault 3.5 World Series test in Paul Ricard
- 2008 Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup 1st
- 14 races, 5 wins, 7 pole positions, 10 podiums, 4 fastest laps
- 2008 Formula Renault 2.0 NEC 1st
- 14 races, 12 wins, 13 pole positions, 12 podiums, 12 fastest laps
- 2009 Formula 3 Euroseries with ART, 3rd place, 2 pole positions, 6 second places, 62 points
- 2009 Formula 3 Masters, Zandvoort, polesitter and winner
- 2010 Formula 3 Euroseries with ART, 3rd place, 1 pole position, 8 podiums, 74 points
- 2010 Formula 3 Masters, winner
- 2010 Formula 3 Macau Grand Prix with Prema Powerteam 3rd
- 2010 AT&T Williams official test driver
- 2011 GP3 1st
- 2011 AT&T Williams official test driver
- 2012 Williams official test driver
- 2013 Williams F1 driver